During the early part of the 18th century, adventurous settlers from Taal, Northern Mindoro, and Southern Cavite were attracted to the vast plain near the shores of Balayan Bay because of its abundance of fish and other marine life. Salting and drying fish became their major occupation due to the great demand for salted and dried fish by people coming from the provinces of Cavite, Mindoro, Laguna, and Batangas. People came in great numbers to join the settlers, and the village became populous.
The place was first called "PUNTA", meaning direction, because a great number of people came in the direction of the village. In 1818, the village of PUNTA was converted into a barrio, under the Municipality of Taal. Upon the suggestion of a new priest, the successor of Father Geronimo, the place was named SAN GERONIMO in honor of the first priest assigned in the former village of PUNTA. CAPTAIN ROBERTO LEMERY, the Commanding Officer of San Geronimo outpost, instructed the military and the church personnel to study the language of the native and cultivate harmony with them.
When Captain Lemery died in 1856, the people of San Geronimo requested their priest to change the name of the barrio to LEMERY. In 1858, the barrio of San Geronimo became officially known as LEMERY. In 1862, Lemery was separated from the Municipality of Taal and became the district municipality thru the efforts of CANDIDA CESARIO VALENZUELA, MANUEL CABRERA, POLICARPIO MARIÑO, and DOMINGO AGONCILLO. Jose Cabrera became the First Gobernadorcillo of the newly created town. For economic considerations, Lemery was again annexed to Taal in 1904. Finally, by virtue of Executive Order 1549 of the Philippine Civil Commission, it became an independent Municipality in 1907.